Friday, May 29, 2020

Root Pruning



On May first, we had a sub-contractor come out to Sycamore Ridge and go around the course pruning the roots along most of the tree lines.  We have wanted to have this process done for a while now,  as we are seeing more and more roots surfacing in our turf areas on the course.  As you can see in the photo, the process did not cause a lot of disruption to the course.  Several areas of stress near the tree lines had been observed, and this should at least reduce the moisture consumption from the trees at the surface.  Two blades sliced into the ground, cutting all roots to a depth of 10 inches.  By reducing the moisture drawn from the soil by the trees, this should help to reduce stress on the turf.  I will be watching these areas closely as the season progresses to see if I can see a difference where the roots were pruned.  I am hopeful that I will be able to take a picture to show the line, demonstrating the benefits.

As the heart of the season is approaching, and things are starting to normalize, we are trying several new things on the course to help the grass survive the summer.  Please stay tuned to my blog, and I will update you on what we are trying, and how it is working.  If you see different things happening around the course, feel free to stop me and ask what and why.  I always enjoy taking the time to explain the reasoning behind anything we do.


No comments:

Post a Comment